Charlie’s Place in Baton Rouge and Gonzales have reopened!
Louisiana Department of Health COVID guidelines are being followed to ensure the health and safety of clients and staff.
Please contact Treasure White at email@example.com or 225-334-7494 for information.
Charlie’s Place Activity and Respite Centers in Baton Rouge and Gonzales offer a program for individuals with early to mild stage Alzheimer’s and dementia-related disorders designed to provide cognitive stimulation and social interaction while giving caregivers a much-needed break.
Charlie’s Place equals quality care at its best. The program offers a home-like experience, where participants can enjoy a purposeful, six-hour day with a host of activities to stimulate cognition and socialization.
- Music and pet therapy
- Arts and crafts
- Spiritual activities
- Live entertainment
- Intergenerational activities
- Physical activities and exercising
- Integration of technology using the “It’s Never Too Late” (IN2L) system
- Games requiring mental participation and concentration
- Cooking with the “Charlie’s Place Culinary School”
- Social interaction with peers
- Periods of rest and relaxation
Charlie’s Place Offers Something for Everyone!
- We provide family members short term, temporary relief from their caregiving responsibilities.
- We engage participants in purposeful socialization and stimulating activities in a supportive setting.
- Our professional staff at Charlie’s Place in Baton Rouge includes a Respite Care Coordinator, a Respite Care Coordinator Assistant and two Personal Care Attendants. With consistent weekly volunteers, the staff/client ratio is 1:3. Charlie’s Place in Gonzales staff includes a Respite Care Coordinator and two Personal Care Attendants, along with weekly volunteers.
- 100% of the staff are Qualified Dementia Care Providers by the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.
Awards and Recognition
Charlie’s Place Respite Center has continuously been recognized for its person-centered care model and partnership with local schools and educational programs.
- Five-time recipient of the Excellence in Care Dementia Care Program of Distinction from the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America
- 2008 Adult Day Center Award from the National Adult Day Services Association
- 2013 Gerontology Partnership Award from LSU School of Social Work
- 2013 Service Learning Community Partner Award from Our Lady of the Lake College
- 2017 LSU Center for Community Engagement, Learning & Leadership (CCELL) “HAPPY” Award for Service Learning
Cost of the Program
Fees are affordable at less than $10/hour, and include:
- Activities in a person-centered care environment
- A hot lunchtime meal and snacks that provide healthful nourishment and frequent hydration
- Some of the latest innovative programming for those with memory impairment
Once a potential client meets the admission criteria, and to ensure he/she will benefit from the program, each potential client undergoes a brief assessment that is administered at Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area or Charlie’s Place Activity & Respite Center in Gonzales.
If you are interested in enrolling in either the Baton Rouge or Gonzales centers, please contact Alzheimer’s Services at (225) 334-7494.